Blowing up spots is an ever-present issue these days—or better put: Danger. Whether you are skating rails, hairpins, driveways, or stair-sets you can see it happening all over the place. I feel like more than ever, a new, younger, and generally more eager group of skaters is beginning to emerge. Not to name names, but a city that may or may not rhyme with Baguna Leach has had many of their spots blown-out so badly that all of their hills are beginning to get banned. With some resident skaters pointing fingers (or “the finger”), the situation may not change? But that’s okay—I say ban the hills! If you‘re smart about it, it’s totally possible to skate any hill without over-exposing it; banned or otherwise.
- It’s hard sometimes, but not offending the local residents is always a good call.
- Don’t bring a crazy-dumb amount of people to the session, especially in a residential area—stay stealth; leave your loud friend at home.
- I’m going to be honest here; I cut lanes—when it’s safe, and no one is looking. Ha ha! Use good judgment.
- The least noticeable way to hit a bunch of hills is to take one run down each—bouncing from one to the other—keeps Five-o guessin’.
- The easiest way to keep a spot off the radar is to simply not tell anyone about it.
- Your mom taught you not to litter, so don’t!
In the end, skating is skating and a lot of people won’t be stoked right off the bat no matter how smart or respectful you are about riding. It’s important to be cool— It’s awesome to have a group of spots to skate that aren’t a bust, but it’s not worth it to be an ass to the groms. There will always be annoying beginners with bad etiquette. Ya live and ya learn, right?
Each one teach one, skate, and have fun.
GENERAL DISCLIAMER: The statements, comments, and opinions expressed by Liam Morgan through Notes of a Greasy Young Man are those of “Mr. Greasy” himself, who is solely responsible for them, and they do not necessarily represent the views of Wheelbase LLC. Questions or comments regarding any information listed in this particular column can be addressed by contacting aliens, or channeling the spirit of Isaac Hayes.